Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Book of the week - Sutphin Boulevard by Santino Hassell

If you haven't experienced Santino Hassell's writing yet, I feel sorry for you. And a little jealous at the same time because you'll get to read all his fabulous books for the first time and I'll never get that feeling again. *sigh*
Before I start a full on fangirling tirade, let me just say that Sonny has a new book out called Sutphin Boulevard and it's amazing! It's the first book of a five book series (yay!!!!), book 2 coming out in December. 


Book Description

Michael Rodriguez and Nunzio Medici have been friends for two decades. From escaping their dysfunctional families in the working-class neighborhood of South Jamaica, Queens to teaching in one of the city’s most queer friendly schools in Brooklyn, the two men have shared everything. Or so they thought until a sweltering night of dancing leads to an unexpected encounter that forever changes their friendship.

Now, casual touches and lingering looks are packed with sexual tension, and Michael can’t forget the feel of his best friend’s hands on him. Once problems rear up at work and home, Michael finds himself seeking constant escape in the effortless intimacy and mind-blowing sex he has with Nunzio. But things don’t stay easy for long.

When Michael’s world begins to crumble in a sea of tragedy and complications, he knows he has to make a choice: find solace in a path of self-destruction or accept the love of the man who has been by his side for twenty years.



How did I like it?


So many feels!!!

There are very few things that I can say with absolutely certainty - my hair will always be frizzy if humidity in the air is above 0.01%; soft taco shells are a genius invention; I'll read anything Santino Hassel ever writes.
Everyone knows by know how much I love ICoS because I'm fangirling about it to anyone who'd listen. Sometimes even to people who wouldn't listen. My point is, I fell in love with Santino's writing (and Ais's of course - I wish she'd publish something of her own soon) with ICoS, and I fell hard. I love the realness of it, the roughness, if you will. Santino writes real characters, real stories, real thoughts. Life isn't rainbows and unicorns all the time and his writing reflects that. In other words, shits gets real, fast. 
Having said all that, he can be romantic and sappy as hell, melting my heart with a single sentence.

All of that is true for Sutphin Boulevard.

What a ride! 

Sutphin Boulevard is about Michael And Nunzio.

They've been best friends for 20 years, but never anything more. Sure, they love to have fun and party together, but their friendship is solidly platonic.

Until it's not.

The first chapter of Sutphin Boulevard is probably the hottest thing I've ever read. It changes the dynamic of Michael and Nunzio's friendship and sets the tone for the rough ride ahead.

Nunzio is perfection! *sigh*

I absolutely loved him! I want a sexy, moody Italian of my own even more now!
We only get to see glimpses of him as the story is told from Michael's POV, but Santino promised some additional side stories from Nunzio's POV soon and I can't wait to see more of what's going on in his head.

Michael is angry, and sad, and scared, and while his defence mechanism produces some really funny sarcastic comments, behind the grumpy, smart-mouth attitude hides a man at the end of his rope. God, Michael is a mess. A hot fucking mess from the very beginning. He digs himself deeper and deeper into the quicksand his life, his soul, is sinking into, until there's no way out in sight.
He needs to grab to the last, faint glimmer of hope, of happiness, and hold on to it or disappear. 

Sutphin Boulevard is a bumpy, rough ride. It's not your typical romance with a sprinkle of Disney and some angst on the side. 
It's honest.
It's hot.
It's sad.
It's funny.
It's touchingly real.

It's perfect.



You can buy it HERE and HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment