Monday 23 July 2012

La Bella Italia part II


So I’m back in London and the weather here has been a shock to all my senses which had just adapted to the 98% humidity and extreme heat in Italy. Due to the non-stop rain, my lawn looks like a virgin forest and due to the same non-stop rain, I can’t mow it. But anyway, let me get back to Italy, at least in my mind…
The last few days of my holiday were amazing. For some reason it didn’t seem that hot anymore – I don’t know if I was used to it already or if the temperatures actually went down a bit. We went to Aqualandia – the biggest aqua park in Italy, which was a short 15 minute walk from our hotel. The park is gorgeous! It’s so well kept with enormous pools, man-made beaches, lawns and trees.




 There’s something for everyone – a huge shallow pool with easy slides for the children; 

more sophisticated slides for children and grown-ups alike, super extreme slides for adrenaline seekers 

and pools with bars at the sides for those who can’t be bothered to go on the slides. *ahem* 

A family can spend the whole day there and none of them would be bored. There’s the possibility that you’ll want to come back – if that’s your case (I know that was our case), they give you special bracelets when you go out and next time you come back wearing the bracelets you get a discount of the entry ticket! So we went back the next day, to my son’s ultimate delight, and it was just as much fun as it was the first time.
The thing with Italians is that they don’t like exact schedules and timetables. On Wednesday night we heard there would be an air show right above our hotel the next day and logically we wanted to know what time it would start. The receptionist said: “In the afternoon.” “OK,” I said, “but what time?” She looked at me as if I was crazy and said: “What do you mean what time? In the afternoon!” That’s enough of a guideline for them – some time in the afternoon. It doesn’t matter that it’s an air show and they have to clear the beach, book free air space and everything else they do for air shows.
So, in the afternoon, swimming leisurely in the pool, we heard the planes coming. So many different kinds of military planes, people carriers and helicopters. They started flying in elaborate figures right above our heads with smoke coming out their rear. The smoke quickly turned into shapes, which drew more than a few gasps and cheers from the people watching. For us it was an extra special occasion because it was our anniversary and we spend it watching an air show in the hotel pool. My husband even joked that he orchestrated the whole thing when two planes made a heart shape  and a third passed through it like an arrow. The best anniversary ever, if you ask me!


That evening we took a late stroll on the beach of Jesolo. It's so busy during the day, but during the night it's very peaceful and romantic. It's not scorching hot anymore and the gently breeze only adds to the pleasure of the walk.


Unfortunately, the next day we had to go back home. You know how travelling back home brings back the stress you worked so hard on banishing the last 2 weeks? Well, it wasn’t like that for us! We travelled with Thomson and I’m not getting paid to advertise them but we’re not going on holiday with anybody else ever again. It’s our second time with them and both times it’s been stress-free, convenient, on time and enjoyable.
The sun is out today in London which means only one thing – I’m off to mow the lawn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment